Friday, June 27, 2008

Free will.


How do we work around or within the depravity of the world we live in without getting sucked in to it? I don’t think we can blame it on society. I think pretty much all societies at work in the world today (and probably throughout history) have contained both good and bad people and tendencies. America is no different from cold war Russia or Elizabethan England or early Israel. Evil isn’t just reserved for Al Qaeda or the “Muslim” nations, nor do I think good and beauty is just reserved for missionaries or the “Christian” nations. Good or bad can’t be blamed on society. It’s more a matter of mankind. We’re really all the same at heart. Some of us just spend more time acting out our goodness, and some spend more time acting out our darkness. Society comes into play in the choice between the two. In an “everybody’s doing it” culture, it can be really difficult to go against the flow even when you know it’s the right thing to do. Much easier to get carried along by the tide than swim upriver.

Sometimes I swim really well, but inevitably I get tired or lazy at some point and don’t necessarily choose to go with the tide, but I just float – and get carried in the wrong direction. It’s easy to blame my backward progress on the current, but really my lack of effort is the true culprit.

No comments: