Monday, December 17, 2007

Puzzle Pieces.


Vocation (noun) - An inclination, as if in response to a summons, to undertake a certain kind of work, especially a religious career; a calling

What exactly is a calling? How do you hear it? And what if it changes?

Sometimes it seems I’m going along and things are working just fine, but sooner or later I begin to get this sense around the periphery of my life that things aren’t all as they should be. Things just aren’t clicking. I’m taking all the steps that make sense, I’m working hard, putting in my time, paying my dues, but I’m not seeing results.

What changed? Me? Or the things surrounding me?

Can a person have more than one vocation? In their life? At the same time? Is it possible to not have one at all?

More questions. My fear is that I won’t figure out the answers until it’s over. Maybe that’s the way it’s supposed to be, but that’s not easy for me to accept. I like to understand things – to dissect them and find out how they work. With most things I can do that – I take something apart, look at its pieces and how they go together, and begin to understand not only how it works, but the thought process of whoever built it in the first place.

Life doesn’t work that way. The more I take it apart and cut into it, the deeper I get – the more things I find that I don’t understand. So I keep cutting and cutting, hoping to find something that connects to something else, and pretty soon I just have a big mess on the floor that I don’t know how to put back together.

Maybe that’s an argument for believing in God. When I take apart something made by a human, I can begin to grasp the intellect of the person that put it together. But life? Even my own – no way. It’s way to complicated for me to understand.

No comments: