Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Change.


It’s cold today. 12 degrees with a wind chill of -1. A couple days ago I was out on my bike enjoying the 50 degree temps…

Life is a state of constant transformation. If you think hard enough, it’s hard to find anything that actually isn’t in a state of continual change. Everything is in a state of growth or decay. It seems some things never change, but the reality is they just change so slowly you don’t notice.

So how do you make sense out of a life with no apparent constants? I guess routines – we humans are creatures of habit. We like things to stay the same, even though they never do. But we do our best to hold on to them or control them because change doesn’t come easily.

The thing is, change is like exercise for our brain. It’s healthy, it’s normal, it’s how God made this world.

Resisting it leads to complacency. Embracing it leads to contentment.

Sometimes it hurts. Sometimes things are good and I want them to stay like they are. Sometimes things aren’t that good, but staying that way still seems easier than the effort it takes to alter them.

It’s Jan. 2nd and not only is a new year dawning, I think a new season of my life is dawning. It’s time to change. I feel it coming and I’m doing my best to be ready for it. It’s kind of like getting to the top of the first big hill on a roller coaster. You’re pretty sure you’re in for a fun ride, but your stomach is still knotted in fear as you look at the twists and drops in the track ahead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

j-mo
so true. not only are you a brilliant photographer but a brilliant processer of life.
peace,
zig